Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chapter Five


Jon sat contented in the passenger seat knowing he was at least in for some birthday nookie when he got home. Callie insisted she drove and let him relax. That and that she didn’t trust him behind a wheel when he was jumpy after a show.

He fiddled with the stereo until he found something satisfactory. He rubbed his face and tipped his head back. He was getting old, he wasn’t going to admit it but he was feeling it right down to the marrow in his bones. He glanced over at Callie and grinned. It wasn’t common that he got to be alone with her, in a car of all places, usually they’d be in the backseat of the town car but this felt oddly intimate.

“What?” She asked not taking her eyes off the wheel.

He snorted. “Remember I used to do this to you when we were younger?”

She pressed her lips together but hid the smirk. “Yes I do, I would be driving your drunken ass home and you’d sit there and stare at me and piss me off, or worse sing made up songs about me.”

He laughed and slapped his knee and sighed. “I totally did didn’t I?” He mused. “There once was a doctor named Callie...”

“Quit it!” She laughed and snuck a glance his way. “You really haven’t changed have you? Still a pain in my ass.”

He wiggled his eyebrows. “We’ve discussed this. You love my ass.”

She nodded. “You’re lucky or I’d kick it more. Now open the glove box.”

He raised his brow. “What?”

She nodded towards it. “Open it.”

She shifted into gear on the open road so he leaned forward and popped the glove box open. There was a small gaily wrapped silver box with a blue box. “You did buy me something! I knew you wouldn’t forget, you’re too organized to forget!” He plucked it out and ripped open the paper, sparing no survivors.

“You’re worse than your son Jon.”

He pried the small leather fell box open and grinned. “You bought me one!” He lifted the power-band out from the box and slid it on his wrist. “I thought you said these were a load of bull-”

“I still do but you’re my husband and what you want, you get.” She winked at him. “Just this once even if it medically does squat.”

“It’s perfect, thank you baby.” He’d done some reading on balance bands and some of his friends in his circle swore by them. He was always open to anything with his Zen/Chi. He had to be with the hectic schedule they kept. His wife however was less impressed but she did agree and participate in yoga classes with him from time to time. “God, I’m gonna be fifty next year. Can you believe it?”

Callie groaned. “Don’t remind me, I’m only a couple of years younger than you Jon. I don’t know where the years have all gone.”

He chuckled. “I do--and I wouldn’t trade them in for the world.”

Their gaze briefly met and both smiled before she turned her attention back to the road. They were edging up around Giants stadium which was lit up in all its glory. Jon stared a little longer and checked his watch. “Why are there lights and a couple of cars there? There was no game there tonight and it’s late.”

His wife shrugged. “I don’t know babe. I guess they practice late at night.”

“It’s not even football season.” He leaned back trying to get a better view but couldn’t. “Go and pull in, see if we can see anything.”

“I’m not pulling into Giants at nearly midnight. Don’t be ridiculous. We’ll be trespassing.”

“C’mon, I wanna be nosey and besides you know I know everyone. They won’t mind if they’re holding some sort of secret practice.”

“No Jon, we’re going home.”

“Please...” He sat and batted his eyes until she rolled her eyes and huffed before flicking her directional on.

“You’re an idiot.”

“It’s my birthday, I’m allowed to be. Pull up around by the east stand, we can sneak around that way.”

“Good lord-”

He patted his wife’s knee. “Just like old times--remember we snuck into Fenway Park and made out.”

“Yeah and nearly got caught. Doc would have flipped.”

“Well Doc-Smoc...that’s old days. C’mon lets go do it again once we find out what’s happening. I’ve always wanted to make out with someone here.”

“You’ve got to be kidding, it’s freezing.”

Jon popped his belt jumped out before she had even lifted the hand-break. Callie followed and wrapped her coat tightly around her body as she made her way over to him. “Jesus Christ Jon, it’s so cold.”

He took her hand, yes it was cold but the odd feeling of doing something a little naughty with his wife on his birthday was just too good to pass up. “See-bet you didn’t think you knew me that well huh baby? Never thought we’d be doing this? I’ve still got some spontaneity in the old guy yet.” He tugged her hand as the snuck around the stadium to where the light was peeking from through the Verizon gate.

“Jon!” She tried to stall him but he pulled her along.

“Relax, we’ll be fine. Besides even your straight-a nature wants to bend. I know you do.”

She frowned. “Fine, just be quiet.”

Jon carefully snuck down the player tunnel where light streamed from.

“Jon! You can’t go--” he stopped and turned before she shrugged. “God, never-mind you’re not listening to me anyway. I’m not going to down with you though--you’re on your own if you go in there.”

“I’ll just take a sneaky peek and then we’ll go have sex somewhere.” He whispered excited, god it was sad that this seemed to be the most exciting thing to happen to him today on all days. He listened at the dressing room door to hear nothing but silence so he knocked softly. No one replied so he carefully turned the door handle.

“SURPRISE!” His eyes popped out of his head as they landed on every single one of his family, band members, and children. Colourful streamers shot out of god knows where and confetti rained down around him like snow. His children stampeded towards him. “Daddy!”

“I--” God damn he was speechless! How did they all get here? How did Callie do all this? Hell, how did she KNOW he would make her come in?” He turned around and behind him stood the one person that scarily knew more about himself than he did. Her arms were crossed and her smirk was wide, mischief glinting in her perfect sea blue eyes.

“Oh look, how did all these people get here?”

He laughed shaking his head as he rubbed the back of his neck. “I’m fucking speechless baby. I don’t know how you did this, let alone got me here...”

“Let’s just say you’re not the only one that has good acting qualities and I know you can’t ever help yourself with football. Call it a hunch.” Her eyes lit up as she slid her arms up around his neck and kissed him on the lips. “I love you Jon and I’d never forget to make a fuss over you because you deserve it for every day of happiness we’ve had together.”

“Awe Cal.” He brushed back her hair and returned the kiss for a little longer until a hand cupped his shoulder.”

“You really thought we’d let get away with celebrating your last year of the forties club.”

Jon turned and grinned as his band mates all stood looking as proud as Callie had. “Son of bitches you’re all fired.” He motioned them away before he hugged each of them.

“This is monumental man...the fifties club is something sacred so enjoy this while it lasts.” Richie teased as they hugged it out.

“You’ll still always be older than me Sambora. No matter what club I’m in.”

“Angel--happy birthday!” The smell of exotic perfume engulfed him as his mother and father each embraced him.

“Thanks guys for letting me know, sheesh.” He scooped up his daughter. “And you, you little monkey. And you!” He ruffled his son’s hair. He was amazed, and he was awed that they had pulled this off--and hell in the best place on earth at that. The music cranked up and the drinks were distributed, he lifted a glass to his wife across the room and realised just how lucky he was.

2 comments:

  1. How very, very cool! Love how Callie just completely and totally played Jon. Men think they're so complex :P

    Nicely done Kiwi!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha Jon...your wife will always be at least one step ahead of you...and yes she knows you better than you know yourself.

    ReplyDelete